THIS WEBSITE UNDER REVISION...PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES...
This is the official website of the volunteers dedicated to the home of Nicholas Jarrot (1764-1820), a French-born entrepreneur and land speculator who also served as judge and local militia officer. Construction of the Mansion began in 1807, making it one of the earliest surviving masonry buildings in Illinois. The historic home is also notable for its use of American Federal architectural design, rather than the traditional French Colonial style common in the area.
Jarrot Mansion Construction
The Mansion is a two-story brick structure with a full cellar. The first floor is composed of a central hall, flanked on each side by two rooms. The second floor contains a ballroom with attached drawing room, a stair hall, and two other rooms. On the grounds is a stone spring house that dates from c.1810. In 1974 the Jarrot Mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places and received the extraordinary honor of being designated a National Historic Landmark in 2001.
The Jarrot Mansion State Historic Site is located near the intersection of Illinois Route 3 and Highway 157 in Cahokia, Illinois, and is just minutes from downtown St. Louis. For further information or to schedule a tour, call (618) 332-1782.
Click Map to enlarge: